Saturday, September 1, 2007

Blessing of a 3-day weekend


Unfortunately, I woke up entirely too early this morning, for a Saturday. Not quite sure what is going on with me but the bad dreams have begun again, and I continually feel on the verge of tears, though smiles come just as easily and I am functioning pretty well. I imagine it's a hormonal thing...Dr. Klouda warned me that adjusting to the new Rx may be a little difficult.

I am also concerned about my ability or maybe lack of ability to keep a balance in the "day to day" living process. I think that I have only made it home before dark once in the past 2 weeks when leaving the house well before 7 a.m. I am feeling the physical exhaustion, which doesn't benefit the emotional state very well. The term "ability" isn't honest; it's simply a matter of choice and following through. I can handle that. My principal holds to the teaching philosophy of "work hard, play hard...come in and leave work at reasonable times...enjoy your family and friends...the tasks of maintaining a classroom will always have loose ends so prioritize...". I need to grasp hold of that philosophy rather trying to control every moment and every relationship.

Our campus theme this year is based on the book, How Full is Your Bucket by Tom Rath and Donald Clifton. Below is the excerpt off their web page section: "About the Book".
How did you feel after your last interaction with another person? Did that person -- your spouse, best friend, coworker, or even a stranger -- "fill your bucket" by making you feel more positive? Or did that person "dip from your bucket," leaving you more negative than before?
The #1 New York Times and #1 Business Week bestseller, How Full Is Your Bucket? reveals how even the briefest interactions affect your relationships, productivity, health, and longevity.
Organized around a simple metaphor of a dipper and a bucket, and grounded in 50 years of research, this book will show you how to greatly increase the positive moments in your work and your life -- while reducing the negative. Filled with discoveries, powerful strategies, and engaging stories, How Full Is Your Bucket? is sure to inspire lasting changes and has all the makings of a timeless classic.

I've only had the chance to glance through the book but it appears to be an easy and interesting read. Michelle bought each of the staff a copy and had logo t-shirt specially designed. Sounds like an interesting concept. Maybe reading the book should be one of my top priorities.

This holiday weekend, thankfully, isn't filled to the brim with obligations or expectations. The Golden Family's Annual Reunion is this afternoon but they have always been enjoyable. Worship services on Sunday which I live for from week to week, spending time with my wonderful husband, making some time to play with Kaeden, do a lil' shopping with Sheryl and Mom and maybe even spend some time at the apartment pool are all in my agenda. I also need to check on a co-worker friend whose mother just died and whose father is terminally ill. She, understandably, is having a difficult time. I'm (slowly) learning to prayerfully live moment-by-moment and allowing God to take care of the details.

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment