Sunday, January 18, 2009

Self Talk, Soul Talk Ch. 2 (personal reflections)

http://leliachealey.blogspot.com/2008/11/next-blog-study-book.html

Well, I am running several days behind though I had the chapter & info. completed, I just couldn't seem to make it to the posting stage. Chapter 2, RENEWING YOUR THOUGHT CLOSET, struck a lot of nerves. I felt convictions from God at every angle. Jennifer Rothchild's thoughts concerning this matter was an amazing confirmation of 2 previous conversations with dear friends. What struck me the most was the idea, the truth, that if the words that I speak to others and to myself are not in agreement with the words of God, then they cannot be true or acceptable.

Refusing to let untruths enter my thought closet is a deed that is much easier for me to say than do. I needed to hear the reinforcement of the fact that I do have a choice on what to think on and about. Through God, I am capable of "holding every thought captive" and refusing it entry into my 'thought closet'.

I so appreciated Jennifer's sharing on how Jesus' words were noted as being gracious, powerful, authoritative and true. Noting the difference between correction and condemnation is something I REALLY needed to hear. I am so quick at feeling reprimanded and punished when the intent is meant to be correcting and convicting.

Realizing, as Jennifer noted on page 28 how our words, even those we say to ourselves, have the power of life and death. Oh, how I want my words to ALL to be gracious, kind and beneficial to all that hear what I say but I must admit that this is in the early stages of a work in progress.

I found such comfort when Jennifer noted on page 29: "You can't remove those hurtful thoughts, words, and memories, but by the power of God (italics mine), you can drain them of their potential control over you. Only One is truly capable of forgetting, and that is God Himself."

End of the Chapter Questions:

1. What sits on the shelves and hangs out in the furthest corners (of your thought closet)...?
Unfortunately, the voices and labels from the past are still bringing about shame and despair but THANKFULLY, God is leading me through the process of replacing the lies of Satan with His loving words.

2. What are the top 5 thoughts you have about yourself? How do they influence you behavior and feelings? Hmmm...the top 5: (1.) I am a burden. (2.) I am at fault. (3.)
I should've known better/done better. (4.) I'm stupid. (5.) I haven't earned...

3. Are the contents of your thought closet based on truth or lies? I am beginning to see that they are lies but it is a slow process.

4. Are you a name caller? Is so, find a new name to use when you are tempted...In other words, refrain from the old words and rephrase with new words. One of my dear friends Sherry gave me a plaque with many positive attributes of one who is in Christ. It sits framed in my 'study area' reminding me that "You are...
  • a child of God (John 1:12)

  • the light of the world (Matthew 5:14)

  • made alive in Christ (Ephesians 2:5)

  • a member of chosen race, a royal priesthood (1 Peter 2: 9, 10)

  • an enemy of the devil (1 Peter 5:6)

  • chosen of God, holy and dearly loved (Colossians 3:12)

  • a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)

  • chosen and appointed by Christ to bear His fruit (John 15:16)

  • a son of God, one in Christ Jesus (Galatians 3:26-28)

  • a joint heir with Christ, sharing His inheritance (Romans 3:17)

  • the salt of the earth (Matthew 5:15)

  • God's workmanship (Ephesians 2:10)

  • righteous and holy (Ephesians 4: 24)

  • a saint (Ephesians 1:1)

  • a temple (1 Corinthians 3:16)

  • an alien to this world (1 Peter 2:11)

  • a slave to righteousness (Romans 6:18)

  • a holy partaker in a heavenly calling (Hebrews 3:1)

  • a member of His house (Ephesians 2:14)

  • seated with Christ in heaven (Ephesians 2:6)

  • one of God's living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house (1 Peter 2:5)

  • part of the true vine (John 15:1)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, stacy, I love those attributes at the end! Mind if I steal them? Something I need to put in the thought closet...

    I too jump quickly to condemn myself. Jennifer's words give hope.

    :)Laura

    ReplyDelete