Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Self Talk, Soul Talk Chapter 1 (personal reflections)

I have never done an on-line Bible Study before but am eagerly participating in the one that begins today. I can hardly wait to see what God reveals to me through the book, Self Talk, Soul Talk that is written by Jennifer Rothschild. I am also eager to hear from the hearts of other women who are striving to daily walk with God.

From my understanding, a new chapter will be discussed each week. For more information, visit the gracious hostess of this study at Lelia's blog. There are also shortcut links on my sidebar.

Chapter 1: Not So Well With My Soul
This chapter resonated within my heart in more ways than I could’ve imagined. Jennifer refers to the words that we say to ourselves as ‘soul talk’ and the importance of how our words need to agree with God’s words; even in those silent talks we have within our own minds.
On page 12, she referred to her own negative soul-talk as “…a raging river, tossing me mercilessly until I thought I might drown in my own self-condemnation.”
  • Oh, how I can relate to those words. These past couple of years, my soul has been haunted by memories of the past which have included all sorts of regrets, "why-questions", and fears of what the future may hold. By God's grace, through His Word and fellow believers, I have come along way in regards to 'healing'.
  • Unfortunately, over the recent holiday season, I was caught way off guard by the voices that I thought had been silenced and I allowed my thoughts and emotions to take me to a level of near tragic despair that I never would've thought possible.

I SO UNDERSTOOD the words that Jennifer wrote on page 13: "All those years of faulty thinking and equally faulty self talking had begun to manifest in bouts of frustration, sometimes pushing me to the ragged edge of despair." My prayer is to never, again, take my eyes off Jesus long enough to ever reach that depth of desperation again.

I appreciated the comments made on how our powerful words can be and how our talk shapes the lives we lead. More slowly than I'd prefer, I am learning what to say to myself and to base these words on the truths that God has made available.

2nd Corinthians 10:5 states "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

  • I hate there are times I can't seem to rid my mind of the thoughts not obedient to Christ. It seems that there are times, when I unknowingly, have allowed myself to succumb to the thoughts of insecurities, lies, and failings. But I can't excuse myself as unaccountable when those moments occur. I suppose it is simply a matter of discipline and faith to make myself "take every thought captive".

Other Scriptures of guidance and comfort were:

  • Romans 12: 2 (NIV) "be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is..."
  • Proverbs 23:7 (NASB) For as he thinks within himself, so he is...

End--of-the-Chapter Questions:
1. What does the soundtrack of your self talk most often sound like...? My thoughts are too often filled with self-condemnation, harsh judgments, fears, doubts, anger, and guilt. Thankfully, I am in the process of transforming these thoughts.

2. How do your feel about the contents of your thought closet? Are the contents... My "closet" is in desperate need of a wardrobe change! My habitual thought patterns often lead to nothing but sadness, despair and hopelessness.


3. Are you willing to try some soul talk from the Bible? YES!! I am so excited about learning how to better CHOOSE and CONTROL my thought processes. I am eager for the guidance into what Gods says to be true and am thankful to not be going on this journey, or any other journey, alone.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for your visit and comment to my blog. I look forward to what the study brings. I know I enjoyed the last two studies I've done with Lelia. I hope to keep my head and mind straight between this study and another face to face one.

    I so understand about visiting thoughts of regret and especially the whys. Oh the whys I propose to my God.
    Sweet blessings,
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your words and can relate to much of what you said. Just last night had to battle with revisiting thoughts of worry and doubt. I'm looking forward to journeying thru this study with you.
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Stacy! It's wonderful to make new friends in bloggy land.

    I, like you, could relate to so much of what Jennifer said in this first chapter. Over the years, I am slowly gaining understanding of how important the words I speak to myself and those I love are. It is exhausting to tackle those self-defeating statements, but oh, so worth it!

    I could really relate to what you said about being caught off-guard by some of the old thoughts over the holidays. It seems like during times of sentiment, I can allow myself to be attacked much easier. Maybe because I let my guard down. Maybe because the presence of family and friends that I don't get to see very often stirs those old waters.

    I think it is going to be a special journey, traveling through this book together. I look forward to getting to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen Sister! Amen! You are NOT alone.

    On The Journey Myself,
    Heather of Swallowing A Moose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stacy!
    Your words on my blog were the sweetest & most uplifting..thank you so much. God is so good, isn't He?
    I too have heard the words that have taken me to a place of devestation. Scary what we allow ourselves to listen to. I just heard Beth Moore say the other day that if what we are saying to ourselves is opposite of what God says about us...believe HIM!
    The King is crazy about you Stacy...continue on the path you are on girlfriend & in a few months you can look back & say "Wow God....look where you've brought me!" This journey with Him is SO beyond exciting. It's hard to let go of what we know, but sister I'm telling you leaving the old behind for what Christ has for us is SO worthy every hard step of this walk with Him. Heather is right you are NOT alone. Lean on Him and He will take you to new places. Just take Him at His Word and be the testament of His greatness that He longs for you to be.
    Looking forward to discovering more of Him with you!
    Love,
    Lelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the study. I am excited to see what God has instore for each of us.

    I think many of us will be doing some closet cleaning over the next several weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stacey,

    So nice to "meet" a new bloggy friend!

    Isn't it interesting how we think we have reached a place of peace and people/things from our past can throw us right back into our old self?? This book is sure to teach us all a lot! Glad you are along for the journey.

    hugs,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stacy! I was excited to come over and see your blog post after seeing your comment on my blog! Thanks! I love your post, your thoughts, honesty, and the wonderful way that you put it all together. (the teacher in you shows up!)
    I look forward to closet cleaning with you and looking to God's truth for that wardrobe change you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love 2 Cor 10 when it says to keep our thoughts captive. It's so hard to do, but that's definitely where the battle is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Stacey,

    I'm so glad you have decided to join the study. I did the last study with Lelia, and God revealed so much to me, and strengthened me the other women in this study.

    I look forward to reading your thoughts on the study, praying for you, and getting to know you. I've related a lot to what you've said in your post especially, "I hate there are times I can't seem to rid my mind of the thoughts not obedient to Christ. It seems that there are times, when I unknowingly, have allowed myself to succumb to the thoughts of insecurities, lies, and failings. But I can't excuse myself as unaccountable when those moments occur. I suppose it is simply a matter of discipline and faith to make myself "take every thought captive".

    :) Carol

    ReplyDelete