Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"Falling Forward" Devotional


"Falling Forward"

Sandi Patty
Excerpted from A Grand New Day: A Full Year of Daily Inspiration and Encouragement © 2008 Women of Faith, Inc. All rights reserved.

The Lord upholds all who are falling.Psalm 145:14 NRSV

When I was a little girl, my father was just about the best daddy any daughter could have. (Still is.) He gave me a great picture of the heart of God by always coming the moment I called (or at least that's how I remember it). Therefore, I had a deep trust that my daddy always had my best interest at heart. One day, however, he tested this trust. I was up on a low roof and my dad was on the ground when he asked me to jump into his arms. I stood with my toes at the edge of the roof and could feel myself swaying. I was terrified. Then Daddy said, "Sandi, you're gonna fall either way. If you fall backwards, I can't help you. But if you fall forward, I'm going to be able to catch you."

That is exactly the picture I want you to hold in your mind if you are struggling in any area of your life. If you are wounded by circumstance or the betrayal of others, if you are in despair about your marriage or your children or your future, if you are being swayed by temptation, you probably feel like you are falling. Go ahead and fall, but fall into the arms of the one who can save you.

1 comment: