Thursday, February 26, 2009

ABC's of the Word...C; Chapter 8: Self Talk...

Combining 2 posts this week: one from Lelia's hosted Bible Study and one from Pam's ABC's of the Word.

I apologize, beforehand, for these not being my most uplifting words but I am speaking from my heart. These past few days have been somewhat emotionally conflicting and confusing. Reading Chapter 8 in Jennifer Rothschild book was an "easy read" but a difficult concept for me to grasp. Jennifer's words are marked in a different color.

In Chapter 8, "Look Back...:, Jennifer encourages us to "...tell our souls to look back often." She further discussed how even painful memories can be good to look back on because "Memories can be profitable because they prevent us from repeating mistakes. They guard us against needless worry, and serve as a grounding force in our lives."

I totally understood where my blogger-friend, Laura, was coming from when she stated in her post about how she "...always thought it easier to look ahead than back over my shoulder. The possibilities of the future are much more inviting than the mistakes of the past..."

Jennifer also shared that "If you don't label a painful memory with meaning, it will retain a negative connotation. It will be stripped of its potential profit and simply fall into the negative or neutral category in your thought closet if you don't label it with meaning." I haven't yet come to fully understand that concept or the next one I make reference to: " The painful memory is profitable because it adds to my personal peace. It reassures me that I can trust God if another difficulty comes into my life."

As of this moment, the idea of really looking back at painful memories seems like nothing more than pain...the thought of 'going back' literally causes physical anxieties and deeply felt terror. I am working on this issue with a trusted friend but it is a slow, slow process which often leads me to feel as if I am failing---failing to trust, failing to believe, failing to let go, failing to forgive, failing to fully love. Which brings me to the "C-Verse" that God has placed upon my heart this week:



Joshua 1:9 (New Living Translation)
9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (italics mine...wherever---in the past, to the future, in the present)


Joshua 1:9 (New American Standard Bible)
9"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

4 comments:

  1. Wrapping you in my prayers sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to be we can't be courageous on our own but, with the Lord's help, He allows us to be courageous as we lean on Him. Praise the Lord!

    Blessings, Lana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy,

    I understand. It was a hard one for me too. Healing is such a repetitive process for me. I think I've come so far...only to have to do it all over again.

    Wrapping love around you...

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dear Stacy,

    You are courageous, because you've shared your fear. So many people never even do that. You've shared with a trusted friend, another step of courage. You are not lacking in faith, painful memories are difficult to work through, and take time and much prayer.

    Our God knows your fears, he knows our memories, and He will bring us through those memories in a gentle and loving way, even when they hurt.

    I'll pray you continue to be strenghtened.

    Love you,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete