Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Self Talk, Soul Talk Chapter 7 (personal reflections)

When I sat down to read this chapter, all I could say and feel was WOW!! This was a defining moment that truly felt as if God is, actually, leading me down this path I'm traveling. If you read my last post, you may have noticed the similarities to what I have been discovering in my personal studies. What a gift it was to have this chapter, by Jennifer Rothschild, serve as an affirmation to what I felt the Lord is teaching me.

I am in awe to think that the Lord of all creation could, actually, be this minutely interested in my life and what is going on in my heart. He is aware and that thrills my heart. I read through the chapter two times last night and my mind was going ninety-to-nothing today. Scriptures that I have been well acquainted with, yet could not personally apply took on a whole meaning today and for the 1st time EVER, I feel as if the ground I am standing upon is solid and trustworthy.

Some of the verses that have gripped and taken hold of my soul are as follows:


  1. Romans 8:1: "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus"

  2. Romans 8: 38: "And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love."

  3. Deut. 1:30: "The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you."

  4. Deut. 31:8: "The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

  5. Romans 5: 8-10: "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

I have spoken of and even taught these concepts in Bible studies, yet have never been able to fully accept these truths when it came to applying them to my life. I felt as if I were an exception to those truths; actually, I felt as if I were the exception.

  • I belong to Christ. There is no condemnation in me.

  • Nothing can separate God's love from me---not the occurrences of the pasts; not any current situations; not any future events.

  • These battles are not mine to fight. I have died. Christ is living in me and He has already won the battles. He will not leave me. He will not betray me. I do not have to live in fear. I do not have to be discouraged.

  • I have nothing to prove. I cannot do ANYTHING to earn the approval of God. But Christ can and He did. God does not look upon me in anger, disgust, or disapproval because Christ has covered me. All of God's wrath was poured out upon His Son and when He looks at me, He sees His Son and I am privileged to be the recipient of His love, His favor, His grace.

I am amazed.

Anyway :)...on to Chapter 7...

"...the realization that ultimate control was never mine to begin with..." (page 103)

  • Those words alone pierced my heart. The thought of actually not being in control was relieving yet terrifying at the same time.

"Absence of peace is not an 'I can't' situation. It's an 'I won't" problem...being defiant and being disabled are vastly different."

  • I am learning the accuracy of her words about the unwillingness to let go does nothing but cause harm and hurt.

I really appreciated her analogies of "gasoline words" and "water words"

  • Such a profound concept presented in such simple terms. I strive to be very careful with my words, towards others, especially after suffering several instances of verbal abuse in past relationships, yet I do not take the same care toward the words I say to myself.

  • I hope these words find a secure place in my heart: "Gasoline words rarely express mercy. You shouldn't speak those words to others, and you shouldn't speak them to your own soul either. Your soul needs the water of the Word to wash over your thought closet. Water words soothe...are full of discretion, grace, and mercy. They don't condemn. They encourage and cleanse."

"When you have peace with God, you can have peace from God---the peace that Christ brings."

  • How I am longing and praying for this peace.

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking this chapter is going to need some more digestion on my part. There is a work God needs to do in me. This chapter was mighty full of thoughts to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you to be blessed with the peace that surpasses all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy,
    Wow! is right.
    That is how I felt too as God is doing a big work in me in the areas mentioned in this chapter. Many of the same verses that you listed are ones that God has brought to life in my heart recently also. I thought it was funny, but not a coincident, that the post prior to my Self Talk Soul Talk post was a poem that speaks of one of defining moments for me that brought them to life. I could so relate to your post today and am rejoicing with you as He continues His wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good one. I've been living it this week. speaking peace to my soul has been tough! i love when God gives confirmation of what i'm learning about Him, sounds like your getting a little "Amen" from Him!

    praying water words over you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words of discretion, grace and mercy... no condemnation, words of cleansing.

    Absolutely. I don't often give myself the grace that I extend to others. It is a hard thing to remember, so that I don't blow on the embers of anger in my thought closet and make a huge fire in there that consumes me!

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!
    God bless,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacey:

    I related to your post on so many levels. How you admitted that you felt like the exception.

    When you wrote this: Those words alone pierced my heart. The thought of actually not being in control was relieving yet terrifying at the same time.

    Yes terrifying, but yet hopeful, we don't have to take control of everything, we can cast all those worries on our Lord.

    May you be blessed with peace.

    Love,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete