Monday, March 2, 2009

An exhaustingly-long-day ending in joy & thanksgiving

In the middle of my work day, I received an almost unintelligible phone call from my mother. She had called to inform me that my brother had been involved in an accident and was in a Dallas hospital. My brother is a police officer for Dallas County, married for the past 10 years and the proud parents of twins (3rd grade boy & girl).

At approximately, 3 a.m. this morning, he pulled over to assist a State Trooper in what appeared to be a routine traffic stop, possibly involving a drunken driver. The traffic stop ended up being a 'drug-bust' and in a bizarre twist of events, my brother ended up falling over an overpass guardrail onto the ground close to 30 feet below. Beyond human reasoning, it looks as if he will be released from the hospital tomorrow.

What could have easily permanently injured him and possibly even have taken his life resulted in serious injuries but nothing life-threatening. SUPERNATURALLY AMAZING!! I thank God for the safe-keeping of my big brother. His right arm was shattered, requiring immediate surgery and an estimated 8-week recovery time. His left hand was slightly injured along with receiving stitches on what is now a serious-looking black eye. He has a concussion but his MRI was excellent. I can't even imagine what might have been.

I am here tonight, in his home, helping care for his 2 precious children who have a big day of state-mandated grade requirement testing (what is known as TAKS here in Texas) tomorrow. They have not yet been told the details of their dad's injuries but they are very aware that things aren't normal.

Please pray for the total physical healing of my brother along with the emotional trauma that such an incident may incur. Please pray for his wife, who has not left his side, and who has a rare strength to care for others in times of crisis. Please pray for their children; that their hearts be comforted during a time of obvious upheaval and that their minds be adequately focused upon their important upcoming academic assessment. Please pray for the other officers involved who have, understandably, been shaken by this occurrence. Please pray for my mom, my sister, and myself in that we focus on the graciousness of God---not on the what might have beens. My body is weak and my mind is beyond tired yet my heart is filled with gratefulness and joy that we, as a family, were spared from what could have been so much worse.

Thank you, in advance, for these prayers.

4 comments:

  1. Praise God that your brother was not more seriously hurt. I will be praying for his total recovery, and for his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that he wasn't hurt more than that. I'm sure that it seemed extremely scary and hard at the time. Our prayers are with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord for sure. Don't you just love seeing His hand at work. I love to see miracles, big and small. I don't consider this any small miracle though. Miracles are everywhere; we just have to look for them when they are not obvious such as this one with your brother.
    Sweet blessings,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your family...
    Praise God for His provision and healing and saving grace!
    God bless,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete