Friday, January 7, 2011

Beauty of a Bird



SCRIPTURE: Genesis 1:20: "And God said, 'Let the skies be filled with birds of every kind."

OBSERVATION: Just recently, I felt such gratitude for the creation of birds.  On Christmas Eve, a beautifully bright red cardinal sought shelter from the rains on the interior of our front porch.  Wayne said that the bird had been there a few times before but this was my 1st sighting of the fellow.  Christmas Eve was especially awkward this year because not only did it mark the 1 year date of my dad's death but was also the first Christmas Eve ever that Wayne did not spend the time with his family due to an ongoing conflict that occurred several months ago.

APPLICATION: The red of the bird reminded me how I am covered by the blood of Christ. The peacefulness of the bird in its shelter reminded me that I too have a shelter available at all and in all times. I don't have to struggle in the chills, winds, and storms of life.  I, as the bird did, can choose to seek and accept refuge.

PRAYER: Lord, help me to be mindful of the promises of Scripture:
  • Matthew 6: 26, 27: "Look at the birds.  They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your Heavenly Father feeds them.  And you are far more valuable to Him than they are.  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not."
  • Psalm 36: 7: "How precious is Your unfailing love, O God!  All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of your wings."

2 comments:

  1. What a precious reminder of His goodness and protection! And what a beautiful bird. Pxo

    ReplyDelete