- When we turn to Scripture, we are reminded that God does not intend for us to live in bondage.
- It is possbile to walk through the realities of life (rejections, wounds, even death) in freedom and pure joy!
- The root of most of our struggles is that we have been lied to. We have been deceived.
- Only a radical adjustment of our way of thiunking will get to the toot of our diseased hearts and make us whole.
• Some of Satan’s tools are a clever combination of outright lies, half-truths, and falsehoods.
o Eve as an example
Caused her to question the goodness, love, and motives of God.
Lied to her about the consequences of choosing to disobey God
Flatly contradicted what God had already said.
Seduced Eve by offering all kinds of benefits.
Led her to make decisions based on what she could see and on what her emotions and her reason told her to be right, even when it was contrary to what God had already said.
• Anytime we receive input that is not consistent with the Word of God, we can be sure Satan is trying to deceive and destroy us.
• We, as Christians, must open our eyes and begin to evaluate what is going on around them---to wake up to the deceptions.
• People don’t fall into bondage overnight. It is a process. Reminds me of Casting Crown’s song: “Slow Fade”
1. Listening to things that are not true is the 1st step toward ultimate bondage and death.
a. We must carefully monitor what we allow into our minds and hearts.
2. Next step to bondage is dwelling on the lie. Allow yourself to contemplate, to consider, and to engage the Enemy in conversation.
3. After dwelling, we believe despite the contradictions to God’s Word which in time leads to…
4. Acting on the lie. Believing things that aren’t true produces sinful behavior.
EVERY ACT OF SIN IN OUR LIVES BEGINS WITH A LIE!
Moving From Bondage to Freedom:
1. Identify the area(s) of bondage or sinful behavior. Ask God to show you.
2. Once you identify, don’t just try to eliminate them. The only way to permanently get rid of the poisonous fruit is to pull the bush out from the roots.
3. Identify the lie(s) at the root of that bondage or behavior.
4. Replace the lie(s) with the corresponding Truth.
KNOW THE BIBLE. CHOOSE TO BELIEVE. SPEND TIME WITH LIKE-MINDED PEOPLE. CLOTHE SELF IN PRAYER. SEEK EXPECTANTLY FROM GOD AND HIS WORD. EAGERLY RECEIVE WHAT THE LORD SAYS.
Jesus said this purpose is to give life in all its fullness.
- For the longest time, I have lived in the state of survival and simply existing---being in bondage to fear of people, fear of loss, and having a false view of who God is.
- Freedom: relying on Him above all things and all people. My identity to be based on Christ and Christ alone.
Is there any area of your life where you have given up hope that you can ever be free?
- There was an inexplicable emotional tie to one I knew was wrong. I kept falling for the lie that I owed this person something because of all the good that had supposedly come from this relationship at one time. Over 20 years of angst, confusion, guilt, etc. and the Lord helped me to become free from this by allowing things to be said and done that left absolutely no room for mixed messages or confusion. Truly amazing to finally be free of this harmful, dangerous relationship.
- At times, it seems the past will never let go. Memories and such catch me off guard at the most inopportune moments. Have begun to realize that the actual events didn't destroy me because of God's provision and care thus the mere memories of such cannot destroy me either. God has me covered.
- KNOW God's Word; Surround self with Godly people; Clothed in prayer